Sunday, October 3, 2010

Social Networking Sites

Face Book
Face book is the most famous social website currently. I remembered that I registered an account while I just entered in Baruch. And the peer leader told us that face book is a must in social networking. The first impression of face book for me is confusing. There are a lot of different link, like walls, news feed etc. I had no idea what these things are. Gradually, when I get used to face book, I found that the main activity in face book is posting short journals and let people to respond you. The funniest thing I thought during the period I used face book is the restaurant game thing that you actually can exchange food with your friends. Overall, face book is a pretty good social website for friends networking together.

My Space
I have a y space account before I opened a face book account, and I think my space is much easier to use than face book. Since, my space generally is a website that people use to post journals, upload photos and share with friends. It is more like blog since it doesn’t have much function other than posting. And I like to use it more than face book because the view of my space is more “clean” than face book. Overall, I think my space is a good social website that I used more often now.

Friendster
Be honestly, before I did this assignment, I don’t know this social networking site. So I had to register one. The home page gives me a feeling of HP because of the background is so familiar with the pictures that HP used. Interestingly, this site seems come from yahoo. After my explored on the site, its function is similar to face book with games and short journals posting. But there is one thing that I don’t like is the face book ad is too big on the left hand side.

Plurk
I think this is the social network site that will be popular very soon. Once you enter into the site, the color of orange gives people a feeling of fresh. The most interesting part in this website is it is not a simple networking site like others. It has a big time line banner on the top of the page and shows every word your friends posted in compliance with the time line. And when you traced back what you wrote and what people wrote, it is really interesting. This is an social website that be so new and special to me in overall.

2 comments:

  1. I have never had a myspace account, I do have a facebook account, but I barely use it.
    Its funny because I do remember my peer leader telling me that facebook is a must- so I figuered maybe I would start using it more often. But I havent. Its not a neccessity, just an amenity.

    Again, I never used myspace, so my knowledge of its useage is very minial, but it does seem easy. One thing that bothers me about faebook is that they are constantly upddating their page layout and stuff like that. So for an infreqquent user, its hard to acustom yourself to something totally new every time you log on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds so interesting about the restaurant game of FaceBook that you mentioned. I t also encourages the connecting offline. I think FaceBook is really popular within students, because we can search friends by the names of college. As you said that Facebook is all about journals and their responds; it shows experiences of the users, and visitors’ viewpoints. For the Friendster, I noticed that the advertisings of different industries are really good.

    ReplyDelete